Position: Director of Culinary
Position Status: FULL TIME
Reports to: Head of Culinary
Supervises: Culinary Staff
Prepared Date: Draft November 2020
The Director of Culinary will be working hand in hand with the Head of Culinary assisting with all aspects of food operations, meal development and serving standards (Disaster and Non-Disaster) for OBR. The Director of Culinary will have a large responsibility in moving the food quality and standards forward to keep OBR on the forefront of disaster and non-disaster feeding.
- Assists in managing/leading the food component of all OBR events where food is served. This includes but is not limited to deployments, fundraising events with food components, Days of Giving events, etc.
- Will be responsible for integrating technology into cooking in relation to food, smoker, reefer, and holding equipment temperature tracking.
- Will work with Head of Culinary to build out recipes for menu diversification.
- Must attain and maintain ServSafe Manager’s Certification.
- Will assist with Health Department permit requests and will lead inspections needed for events and/or deployments.
- Assist with ordering/procuring food and non-food products for events and deployments. This can also include equipment needed for each event.
- Will be responsible for maintaining and running events at all OBR test/media kitchens. This includes managing any culinary staff needed for the OBR test/media kitchen
- Will be responsible for executing culinary focused media (video’s, Podcasts, etc.) for each department’s needs.
- Travel to OBR deployments/events to lead the culinary side as needed.
- Assists with overseeing cleaning and basic maintenance of equipment, ensuring readiness for events and/or deployments. Ability to request for additional maintenance when needed from immediate supervisor.
- Leads/Assists with all culinary curriculums including but not limited to BBQ Basics, BBQ Basics Jr, Disaster Deployment, etc.
Manages employees and volunteers. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Skills and Abilities:
- Basic maintenance of commercial kitchen equipment and BBQ smokers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent driving capability to include forklifts, Box Trucks, Trucks and Trailer systems, must be able to “back-up” a trailer system.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines and goals.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make decisions and use critical thinking skills in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in project management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, XL, PowerPoint, Teams.
- Proficient in Google Office Suite.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, internet browsers, web-based programs, and email.
- High school degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years’ experience in high-volume kitchens
- Previous kitchen management experience
- Servesafe Certified
- Formal culinary training/culinary degree
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee will be expected to move cases of food while on deployments that will weigh 70-80 pounds regularly.
The work environment is both rewarding and dynamic. This role will be split between an office position and an in the field on deployment/events role. Living conditions while on the road at events will be standard hotel (OBR Paid) with meals sourced locally (OBR Paid) and on deployments will be either in a standard hotel or onsite in a bunk house. Working conditions will include prolonged periods of standing and preparing/cooking food. During deployments/events the kitchen environment may involve exposure to extreme heat or cold. Expect job related travel up to 50% of the year.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply, download and complete this application, and send application, cover letter and resume to email@example.com.