Job Description: Director of Education and Safety
Position Status: FULL TIME
Reports to: Chief of Programs
Application Deadline: September 25, 2020
The Director of Education and Safety is a two phased position responsible for the development and implementation of a structured multi-departmental curriculum, and the implementation of this content across both in-person and virtual training platforms as part of the OBR Academy. Additionally, the Director of Education and Safety will programmatically develop, deploy, and maintain the safety program for all OBR personnel (Volunteer and Employees) during disaster and non-disaster events; ensuring organizational compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and OBR principles. The Director of Education and Safety will work with departments within the organization, and coordinate communication with local area resources, and provide daily and final reports required and requested to executive and designated teams.
- Develop operational, managerial, and leadership curriculum for OBR personnel IAW OBR policy and guidance from the Chief Programs Officer.
- Schedule/coordinate, lead, and moderate education and safety meetings/calls
- Work with OBR departmental management to schedule training programs for all volunteers and employees.
- Assist in developing department budget.
- Confer with management and conduct surveys to identify training needs based on projected production processes, changes, and other factors.
- Ensure all training materials and programs are compliant with laws and regulations governing the industry.
- Work to keep training programs vibrant and entertaining in order to engage employees and trainees.
- Create monitoring strategies to ensure that employees are performing job duties according to training.
- Work closely with departments (Volunteers, Technology, Operations, Culinary, and Development) to ensure that the educational curriculum meets departmental needs.
- Assess risk and possible safety hazards of all aspects of operations and organizes and conducts safety training as necessary.
- Audit food production keeping on the lookout for any unsafe behavior or breaks in safe food handling.
- Share information, suggestions, and observations with Programs leadership to create consistency in safety standards throughout the organization.
- Create safety plans that include suggested improvements to existing infrastructure and business processes.
- Project a favorable image of the organization while finding the best way to prevent future accidents or incidents.
- Research and disseminate safety principles and regulations that pertain to the OBR mission, working with OBR leadership to regulate and implement processes and procedures.
- Investigate causes of accidents and other unsafe conditions on the job site, working and reporting directly with compliance to develop and distribute lessons learned to OBR leadership.
- Participate in continuing education to update knowledge of educational and safety protocols and techniques.
- Develop a detailed onboarding curriculum for volunteers and employees, establishing a baseline knowledge across the organization.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines and goals.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make decisions and use critical thinking skills in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in project management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, XL, PowerPoint, Teams.
- Proficient in Google Office Suite.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, internet browsers, web-based programs, and email.
- Required: High school diploma or equivalent; and two to five years of related experience or education in organizational safety or education
- Preferred: Experience and education in Organizational Safety and Experience or Education in Hands-on instruction and Education Management
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The work environment is both rewarding and dynamic. This role will primarily be an office position, with travel up to 60 days per year. This position will intermittently be required to take part in our organizational deployments where living conditions will be more austere in nature. These living conditions can include (not exclusively) sleeping in a bunk house or trailer, outdoor work conditions in fluctuating weather conditions, longer hours than a traditional office environment, limited cell and wifi access.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Description PDF
To apply, download and complete this application, and send application, cover letter and resume to email@example.com.